Helmeted Honeyeater's - Victoria's state bird emblem - On the brink
Friends of the Helmeted Honeyeater formed in May 1989 when the population of the Helmeted Honeyeater's reached a critically low level of 50 birds. We share a concern for the future of our critically endangered Victorian bird emblem (the only bird endemic to Victoria) and want to contribute to the conservation of Australia's unique flora and fauna.
Our major aims are:
- To protect existing habitat and plant future habitat for the Helmeted Honeyeater
- To raise awareness about the plight of the Helmeted Honeyeater and enlist broad community support for the Recovery project.
Our core conservation projects:
- With the dedication of local volunteers, we grow around 80,000 indigenous plants each year for habitat plantings throughout the Yarra Valley in Victoria
- With the valued help of local school, community and corporate groups, we plant approximately 15,000 habitat plants each year for Victoria's faunal emblems, the critically endangered Helmeted Honeyeater & the endangered Leadbeater's Possum. and all of the species that co-exist with them
- We educate others of the plight of Australia's endangered species and the things we can all do to make a positive difference
- In partnership with many groups and organisations, we advocate for broad conservation outcomes that will protect and enhance our natural environment.
If you believe in the saying 'Think globally. Act locally' and are passionate about making a difference, then convert your precious time into endangered species conservation work and improve your local environment by becoming a volunteer with the Friends of the Helmeted Honeyeater. Learn skills, gain experiences, share knowledge. You'll be warmly welcomed.
For more information:
email: [email protected]
phone: (03) 5964 8341
post: PO Box 131, Woori Yallock, VIC 3139
nursery sales: Tues & Thurs 9.30-3pm, 1217 Macclesfield Road, Yellingbo, VIC. 3139 (Melway reference 305 G11)
Ritchies Community Benefit Program has donated over $3,022 to Friends of the Helmeted Honeyeater to date (end July 2011).
CB Number: 93319